Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Almost Home






I regret missing last week but I was in the midst of final goodbyes and final packing. Sunday was my last full day on the New Embassy Compound; I started it like I did all summer- with an early trip to the gym, breakfast to go and heading to the pool with Candace. We enjoyed our poolside brunch, a little lounging and then our last sidestroking session. The only thing different from our other Sundays was a duck and cover alarm just after our swim- we hit the deck but thankfully nothing else did. We had always thought of the pool as our escape from Baghdad so it was a bit of a bummer. Still, my real escape was only one day away so we shared a laugh as we huddled on the deck and waited for the all clear. Candace is only a week behind me, and if I am lucky, I can get her to Columbus sometime for a visit.

Late Sunday afternoon, I joined my Energy Services Division colleagues for our awards ceremony presided over by our J9 Director, MG Buchanan. Once you hit your awards ceremony you know you are close to leaving so it is a major milestone of sorts to reach. The majority of our division departs before the end of July, with just two remaining as Liaison Officers to the Embassy until the end of their tours. I was awarded the Iraqi Campaign Medal and the Defense Meritorious Service Medal. MG Buchanan introduced me with an Ohio State football dig, followed by some kind and generous comments, he then posted the award (meaning we came to attention and the award was read) and then turned over to the me for my comments. I took the opportunity to remind him of another football related memory- the time my forehead met his nose. We all enjoyed a laugh (yes, even him) before I went on to sincerely thank my leadership and colleagues for a really rewarding joint, inter-agency experience. I also shared how grateful I was for what I have come to think of as my mid-life reflection.

Early on, I jokingly referred to this mobilization as my "Mom Sabbatical". No dirty dishes, no family laundry, no house to clean...that was all positive and I embraced it. But of course so much was missed this past year and that is the true sacrifice. I can't help but feel like I have kind of lost a year of Noah and Amelia's life. That may sound overly dramatic, and with our almost daily phone calls and weekly skype dates- I am incredibly grateful to have stayed so connected. My greatest fear before deploying was how this would affect the kids. I can vividly remember sitting in Mr. Bowser's office (Amelia's Principle)with tears welling up, and a few spilling, as I shared with him my concerns. He assured me with confidence that they would be just fine, and thanks to Adam and so much family, friend and school support, they really have been. I am so proud of their resilience and so thankful for the support we have received. The from the bottom of my heart kind, the good stuff!

Because I was separated from family and other normal commitments, ironically there was an opportunity in Iraq to take care of myself in a way that does not present itself so freely at home. I am happy to report that I took that opportunity. And while I may not have everything mapped out, after my "mid-life reflection," I am certain that I am coming home more sure of what is important to me and feeling physically stronger and healthier than I was when I left just over a year ago. That feels like a gift to me and something special to give back to my family- because after all, they have had to contend with dirty dishes, laundry and so much more!

This is my sixth day in Kuwait; I left the Embassy and started my journey back last Monday- what a great birthday present. I leave tomorrow and I am beyond excited; I am moved to tears pretty easily but they are not the sad kind. I think they are a mixture of joy and relief. I have spent the last few days attending the Navy's Warrior Transition Program. Attending is probably not the best word because they do their best to ensure there is a lot of freetime. The idea is to slow the pace down and enjoy time off after working at a pace that is not quite normal. It has been nice, and I think very worthwhile, but I am ready to get stateside. I will head back to where I first reported, Gulfport, Mississippi, to do my demobilization. I know I have one great mexican dinner in my future but mostly it will be a race to check all the boxes so I can head home. Fingers crossed, the next post will come from home. And by just typing that, there are the tears again.

Much love,

Krista

Photos: About to leave the Embassy with Frazzure on my birthday, my Navy shipmate LCDR Jen Forbus after the award ceremony, my Army buddy and confidant LTC Jill Buchanan, my award ceremony, Kuwait bound on a C-130.

3 comments:

  1. Tears!!! Great post!!! See you soon! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a talented writer you should put all this in a book when you get home!! Have loved reading all about your adventures!! Hope to see you soon! Love, Lynne (Amys mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big tears!! So excited to have you home.. Can't wait to see you!

    xoxo Katie P

    ReplyDelete