Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

I arrived back in Baghdad on Sunday afternoon, just in time for the fourth of July festivities on Monday. I started the day early, 3:30 am early, thanks to jet lag. Got unpacked, did two loads of laundry, watched a bit of tv and even got a run around the NEC in before 7am. I was actually returning from switching clothes out of the washer to the dryer when I ran into Candace and Anne as they were heading out for a run. Quick change from a robe to shorts and a tee and we were off. The temperature felt mild and with overcast skies, it was only 90, for summer that is pretty mild here. It climbed as the day progressed but it was a nice start and fun to catch up with the girls.

The early wake up did me in later in the day but we were on a rare light work day for the holiday. I was out of the office by lunch and took advantage of the afternoon off to get in a good nap. The common areas of the NEC were decorated for the 4th, the DFAC featured traditional BBQ items and MWR sponsored a few special activities including a dunking tank and snow cone machine. Not sure who got dunked since I slept away the afternoon but efforts were clearly made to mark the holiday. We were just all hoping for no fireworks. That, and not being with family, made the day a little different than years past.

I was really lucky to catch up with Adam, Noah and Amelia at Lake Cumberland. I enjoyed introducing them to the delegation, but mostly was just so happy to have some time together. I think we all felt like it was bonus time, and a nice prelude to my real homecoming. After Wolf Creek I headed back to Nashville and flew to St. Louis for our last visit, this time to Clearwater Dam in southern Missouri. I learned a lot on the trip and came away feeling like it was a really great exchange for the Iraqis too. In between the presentations and site visits, we shared many memorable, light hearted moments and interesting, frank discussions during long car rides. It was not hard to say good bye, it was time, but I will certainly think of them in the future and wish them all the best.

Most importantly, coming back meant going home. I have a few loose ends to tie up and some packing to do before leaving the NEC on the 19th of July. I have taken pictures down, brought boxes in and started to fill them. You can tell it is final stretch time! With only two weeks to go, I feel like I have plenty to keep me busy. I am not feeling particularly nostalgic but I am also not feeling desperate to leave, just ready. And for now, that seems like a pretty good place to be.

Happy 4th of July.

Love,

Krista

1 comment:

  1. Hooray you are almost out of there. We'll catch up later. Stay safe Happy Early BD Wyoming is in the splendid summer season. XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete