Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Iraq's Best Burger

Every morning, I am the first to wake in my CHU. I make my way to the door and get ready for the piercing light that greets me each day. Because we essentially live in a tin can with no light and because I don't want to bother my CHUmate by turning on the interior light, that first glimpse of the sun is painful. But each day I close my eyes to a squint, open our door, and feel my way to the bathroom door, thankfully only one door away. I am sure it would be very amusing to a passer by. So one day this week I decided to try a new tactic and wear my sunglasses for the trip, I opened the door and thought "wow, what a difference!" As if I could not believe that the sunglasses could be that good I lifted them a bit and got a bigger surprise- it was cloudy, full blown cloudy with no blue. Since I have been here- not a cloud in the sky. Not one. Sometimes a little sand in the air that creates a haze, and some pollution visible from smokestacks across the Tigris but never a cloud. After living in Columbus for almost twelve years, welcoming a cloudy sky is a new feeling for me but I did welcome it and enjoyed not feeling the sun boring down. Not only did I make my way to work with an appreciation for how different things looked but it was also the topic of conversation of work. And that there is the one thing that made this week different- clould cover.

I have previously described the New Embassy Compound (NEC) as a mini college campus, and I think that it has that feel but there are touches of the middle east that serve as a reminder of where you are. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, the call to prayer can be heard in the distance or sometimes very clearly. The call is a song of sorts broadcast over speaker. But not a melody to my ear, more of a wailing tone that sometimes sounds a bit erie and sometimes very beautiful. Hard for me to describe but definately a reminder throughout the day that I am in not in Kansas anymore. Depending on where I walk, when I look over the wall I sometimes have a good view of Saddam's cross swords monument, at least the arch of the swords where they meet and I can also see the former Baath Party headquarters building. I imagine both of these graced the front of postcards not too long ago.

Today is Sunday, my normal day to write but I have recognized a new pattern that involves Sunday and I think it is worth writing about. Sunday at lunch features the Embassy Burger. I had my first Embassy Burger on Labor Day; I figured that I would enjoy the holiday in the same fashion many at home would- with traditional barbeque fare. I was not alone, the grill had extra long lines that day. It was so good that at the end of the day, I shared with my roommate that I had one for lunch and went on to tell her how good it was- she said, "I know, I had one for lunch and one for dinner it was so good." So what makes it so special? The patties are hand formed, the buns are dry but toasted on the grill, you can go plain or get cheese melted on top. Other options once it comes off the grill include bacon, grilled onions or mushrooms. I go classic, a single burger with one slice of melted cheese loaded with shredded lettuce, tomato slice and rounds of raw onion with ketchup. And maybe, just maybe, there is one more special ingrediant that makes is so good- the taste and smell of a bit of American culture when so far away from home. If forced to compare with one at home, I would probably send you to Five Guys. But if you are in Iraq, I would be willing to bet you will find the best burger right here at the NEC!

So in just a bit I start another week. I have commented to a few that I am puzzled by how the days can seem so long and the weeks go by so fast. But it is far from a complaint, I am happy to keep moving forward.

Love,
Krista

p.s. Won my first fantasy football game and led in points overall for the first week- who knew I could play football?

Special Note: It has really been quiet lately but this morning, not so much. While I am fine, and those around me are too, a few VBIED's (vehicle born improvised explosive devices) have rocked Baghdad today (outside of the International Zone.) Seems really trivial, and frankly embarassing, to wax on about a burger amidst death and destruction. But that is kind of what life here is like, you grasp the good and the normal. Still, glad I got the post written before seeing all the reports.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your environment. While working at the hospital I am often mindful of the babies being born, the traumatized and injured being treated in the emergency department, and the dying who have their last minutes in their rooms. All the while I am involved in nutritional services and we have our grill and smoker outside our back door for HAMBURGERS AND THE LIKE. If we leave the door open, the scent gets into the ventilation system, which pretty much circulates throughout the facility and the patients and the staff and visitors salivate. So like you, while all this serious life and death activity is going on, the hungry are enjoying the food. Wish we could take care of the situation there by feeding everyone burgers or some such thing.
    Have been geting news of the trouble in your city and find myself holding my breath for you all. Remember to breathe. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just want you to know that Iam praying for you and your family and all the troops that are over there. I too am counting the days when you will be home, keep on keeping on. With much prayer lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a moment of work boredom (shhh don't tell), I looked up your brother....then you, and was happy to find your blog. Not so happy to see where you are, and now have more worry than when I started this process 10 minutes ago. Take care Krista. You may not think people from long ago think of you, but they do and I hope the best for you and your family. Prayers and best wishes. Woody Yurek

    ReplyDelete