Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Anticipation

It has been an interesting week. The focus was on Friday, the scheduled "Day of Rage" for Iraq. Lots of speculation, lots of planning and an abundance of precaution for a day that ended up being relatively quiet. The "Day of Rage" was billed by organizers as an opportunity for all Iraqis to peacefully express dissatisfaction with a number of things; primarily government corruption, lack of essiential services (electricity and water), and high unemployment. As others jumped on the bandwagon, it took more of a secretarian flavor and opposition to the "occupation" got added too. The contradiction in title and intent only increased uncertainty as to what the day would bring.

Officially, we referred to it as "the day of planned protests," that sounded a bit better to me. Some fed on the uncertainty, and seemed almost optimistic about the chance for some excitement. Call me boring, but I was just hoping for a day where Iraqis could freely express disappointment and dissatisfaction in a fundamentally democratic way, without fear for their safety and without harm to the police and miltary forces assigned to keep the peace. In the end, the protests numbers were very low and although not always peaceful, in most cases the government's response seemed relatively controlled. My personal disappointment was the GOI's (Goverment of Iraq) harsh restrictions on press coverage and the leadership's encouragement for people to stay home. In the end, it is hard to say why the protests were small. Was it late calls to reschedule, some parties pulling their support for the demonstrations or ominous government warnings for citizens' safety?

Here on the NEC, everyone seemed exhausted by the end of Friday. The emotional highs and lows of anticipation and apprehension seemed to take the biggest toll. We limped into Saturday and are all ready for a new week. But, with the current state of unrest throughout the Middle East, who knows what this week will bring.

But here I am, another week closer to R&R. As I thought about it today, I realized that at this point, I might beat any mail I send home! That is a milestone of sorts- one I am happy to meet.

Love,

Krista

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments. I have been following the revolutions in all the countries with great interest. Finally all of the education and techno communications available to the regular folks has had a great impact and I am optimistic for the young generations future. It's the most interesting event in my lifetime. Meanwhile the kitchen crew is just grateful to be back in the new kitchen, which still has a month or two to be totally finished and as I expected the stress of the last couple of months has brought out the best in some and the worst in others. I'll be ready for R&R by Spring. Stay smart XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that the big Friday demonstrations were relatively uneventful--I was concerned for you as I have watched the demonstrations spreading. I'm so glad for you that the long-awaited R+R is approaching. We're keeping busy here in upstate NY. Katie had her first "show" yesterday, so that was an important landmark. It was an improv comedy show as the culmination of a short set of lessons she had a school. All the grand parents were there, it was very exciting. Funny, too, though not always in the way the kids intended...

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete