Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Batter Up!




This past week was a busy one. The pace was similar to my early weeks in Iraq, but this time, it was purely self imposed. Briefing the Commanding General (CG), a four star, is something to be prepared for and I was pretty determined to make the best of the opportunity. It was not a given that I would brief, there were a number of scenarios that would have meant someone else briefed what I prepared. In keeping with the current baseball playoffs that were in full swing last week, I appreciated my Generals' confidence in sending me up to bat. During the car ride over, not long before I went up to bat, my General told me "don't screw it up." Oddly inspiring!

Perhaps because I had practiced so much, I felt suprisingly comfortable. No Brady Bunch moments picturing the General in his underwear were required. But I did remind myself that I was the expert (scary thought,) raised my chair, sat up a little straighter and calmly waited for my turn. It was a "U" shaped table, mostly Generals, a few Admirals, one Captain, and me, with my Embassy partner next to me. With the strap hangers behind the "U", about 35 were in attendance. And it went well, really well. But when it was over, I mostly felt relief. Relief that I had not struck out, and a bit of joy that I may have even made it on base while playing in the Majors.

The next day I had another brief for the CG, but this time it was just one slide with accompanying script by video teleconference from the Embassy. It is blasted all over but most people just see the slide and hear your voice. So I read, I focused on articulating clearly while ensuring my voice stayed out of the squeak zone. I made it through without blunder and then focused on my next responsibility- the Hail and Farewell that was scheduled for that evening. My coworkers were happy to do the heavy work- they just had no interest in the planning. So it was perfect- I planned, coordinated and crafted a bit and they picked-up and set-up as I requested. College football was the theme and the tailgate inspired menu included spicy brats with grilled peppers and onions, chicken wings, pasta salad, assorted chips, fruit platter and dessert. The DFAC did a super job preparing the special meal for us- all we had to do was pick it all up. Nice and easy- particularly when the guys pitched in so willingly. That ended my triple header. I pretty much collapsed into bed that night, exhausted but happy.

Pictured are my friend Vern making his way down the food line, me with my coworker Terry in the middle and Brian who works in the front office. Terry is a reservist, a Navy pilot, who is a rancher in "real life." He runs a cow-calf operation in Nebraska. In a rare perfect fit- he works agricultural issues here and really gets it. He heads home soon, he is more than ready to get back to his family and ranch, but I will really miss him. I don't remember exactly what was making me smile so broadly but I do remember laughing when that picture was snapped. And then there is my craft project. I made 25 pennants using the pre-season college football rankings in Sports Illustrated. There is no shortage of SI here so I tore two of them up to get my project started. I bought a role of brown craft paper at the exchange and laminated away. We have a great laminator and a really nice paper cutter so the job went fast. A few hole punches and weaving with the ribbon, and I was all set.

Wishing those at home a wonderful week, I am smiling thinking of all the halloween activities ahead. If you get a chance, please send me a picture of your ghosts and goblins.

Love,

Krista

3 comments:

  1. You, Water Warrior, are the perfect person for the job. Intimidation sharpens the presentation skills, along with a lifetime of experience, education and, Positive Mental Attitude. How about the right tools for the job and most importantly, a highly functioning team. Good grief, our government does get it right and I say that with a sincere smile. Thank you. As for me, another mouths fed-record breaking week in the food business. It's blowing autumn leaves in Wyo. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids and Matt did a bang-up job of creating a regular jack-o-lantern family with several distinct personalities. With any luck, they'll be immortalized in photo and sent your way. Keep up the great work! Love, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I didn't write last week as I was a bit busy. I got out to Chicago for one day to do a doctoral dissertation proposal - which went well - and then the very next day went back to work for the first time since baby Tom, now 2, was born. Crazy! I survived, though, and now I am getting used to the work routine again.

    My girls picked out their Halloween costumes this weekend - we have one witch (Katie,7) and one Minnie Mouse (Emily, 4). Tom is going as Tigger. I hope your kids are doing great. It's also good to see you bringing KP Events to the Middle East for the Hail and Farewell. You're a multinational company now. Way to go!

    -Thinking of you often. Take care,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete