Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween





I have just returned from work; it is later than I normally sit down to write but I would hate to miss a Sunday "deadline" after all these weeks. It is Halloween today but other than candied apples at the dessert bar for dinner, which was a nice and thoughtful touch, it would be hard to tell. No tricks but a special treat on the walk back to my CHU this evening. I heard the sound of helicopters, I was sure they were near, but despite trying I could not spot them until after I felt the wash of the rotors. In the dark sky, flying without lights, it was impossible to make them out until one touched down no more than 50 meters from where I stood. I think it is magical how they blend in; I am always delighted to see them swoop down and then take off with such power, quickly disappearing into the night. They happily remind me of Adam and his helicopter days, and also serve as a reminder to be grateful that I am in a unique place, privy to some special experiences.

Another special experience was a dinner last night at the home of an Iraqi. She lives within the International Zone (IZ) so travel was easy, and safe, but I am afraid I can not share many details out of concern for her safety. But what I do want to share is that I had a really lovely evening and enjoyed their warm hospitality. During the evening the lights flickered a few times, once going out for a few minutes, but conversation continued as if nothing happened. Their hope for a better future for Iraq was palpable, and as I reflected on the evening I wished that I could bring ordinary Americans into their living room to see how similiar we are. They proudly shared stories of their family, past and present, and I shared the photos that I always keep in my sleeve pocket; it was clear that we were linked by a common desire for a secure future for who, and what, we love.

And then there was the food... I will have to wait until I am home to show you my Hostess but I wanted you to see what a tradional Iraqi spread looks like. It was all delicious and so fresh. We started with a soup, its base was made with tomato and turnips but it had other chopped vegetables and wonderful stuffed dumplings. Two rice dishes, a fantastic salad, homemade hummus, an okra dish and a platter of grilled meats and onions followed, all accompanied by bread similiar to pita but closer to naan in texture. The food is complex in flavor but has a simplicity to it that is very appealing to me. I will have to come back with some recipes.

Thanks to Lisa and the Jones family for the wonderful pictures of home. As time passes for you, it passes for me and I am grateful for the seasonal reminders as the months go by. Next year, you will find me excited to be back at my front door passing out candy. Amelia always joins me towards the end, we sit on the steps digging through her bag as she takes care of the stragglers at the end of the night. Noah arrives a little later, but I can always count on him for a Reeses Cup and a colorful recount of his evening. Next year...

Love,

Krista

5 comments:

  1. I am happily doing the Halloween hand-out duty right now - as Dan takes the kids around - but your description of your family's traditions sure added to the sweetness of it all. (I love the fact that my kids donate the Reeses cups to me, too. YUM!) Katie, my eldest, was a witch; Emily was Minnie Mouse - and Tom was Tigger. (You can probably tell that we're still at the stage of being major consumers of Disney products.)

    That Iraqi food sounded delicious and fairly healthy, too. I look forward to trying the recipes!

    Stay strong, my friend. We're keeping you in our thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the post this week! Can't wait for you to come home so you can share the rest of the pictures from what looked like an amazing dinner.

    xo Katie P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo can't wait to see, smell and taste that Iraqi feast! Glad you had a chance to visit with an Iraqi family and experience the local fare. :)
    It's 33 degrees this morning...Jack Frost came by last night...Hello November!
    Big hugs and loads of love from all the Jones'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Wyoming weather tradtion has been broken-It did NOT snow on Halloween, and I am still wearing shorts and flip flops. Thought of you last week, thinking it would be nice if you made a local friend and a home visit. Hmmm, mathmatical coincidence, or psychic mumbo-jumbo? Heard there was a direct Paris to Baghdad flight last week. Need an open ended ticket? Anyway, that kind of commercial activity sounds promising. The SF Giants won the Series. Hooray! So much for "Don't Mess With Texas". Stay Safe XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey stranger! miss you!

    ReplyDelete