Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Something to Live By


Back at home, I remember flipping through a catalog when the image above leapt out at me. I was enamored with the clean design, cute crown and most of all- the sentiment. I am pretty sure it was a framed print that I first saw, and I thought about where that could go in our home. Still not knowing the history behind it, but with it leaving an impression, I started noticing it more frequently. First the poster and then needlehook pillows (cute,) t-shirts and finally coffee mugs; hmmm, maybe a little too trendy- I took it off the mental shopping list. But I was reminded of it again here when I spotted an aged 8 1/2 by 10 version adorning the outer wall of a cubicle just down the way from mine. Now I was really curious, a quick trip to wikipedia filled me in; the slogan accompanied by the crown of King George VI was produced by the British Ministry of Information in 1939. It was one of a series of three prints, war propaganda designed to bolster the mental fortitude of the British should Germany invade. Fortunately the posters were not needed but sadly, they were destroyed.

Well not all of them, an independent bookseller from Northcumberland England discovered a folded up poster in the bottom of a dusty box of books bought at auction in 2000. He and his wife hung it the shop and eventually had prints made to satisfy the demands of customers who frequently inquired about purchasing it. The history, combined with the appropriateness of the senitiment in my current setting, I am in love all over again! I printed a copy of my own and it is now framed and sitting on my nightstand. Although not prone to hysterics, I really like the cheery and sensible reminder to keep moving forward.

People here track their progress or count the days in many ways. There are different schools of thought as to the best method; should you count daily, weekly, monthly or not at all? I do not know anyone that does not "count" in some way. But my friend Jason takes the prize for most original. He goes by the moon. The moon is very pretty here, and normally very striking because of the absence of clouds. I like his method, but having previously adopted the month, I have stuck with it. The little red box came out again on the 22nd of September, and this time Noah, Amelia and the Days were joined by the Jones Family for an after school treat of frozen yogurt at Cuzzins to celebrate two months down. And for me, a trio of Baskin Robbins with the baby scoop. I am in pretty tight with Ganesh, a kind gentleman who proudly oversees and maintains our impeccable ice cream bar. Normally it is the self-serve soft serve I indulge in, but for special occasions, Baskin Robbins served with a smile by Ganesh.

I did venture off compound, but within the International Zone, to the United Nations Compound this past week. It was interesting to see just how many countries and Non-Governmental Organizations are working to assist the Government of Iraq with water related issues. Ideally our meeting would mean less duplication of effort and more progress, but it is a challenge in this environment, a challenge excentuated by stalled government formation. Nonetheless, we are all trying to move forward, like me, one day at a time.

Love,

Krista

4 comments:

  1. At the risk of being censored, my mantra, which changes weekly, has been, "your ass is grass", "don't sweat the small stuff", "ommmm", and who knows what for this upcoming week..."keep calm, and carry on", will do just fine, thank you. I know it is more than tough to be where you are, and not a walk in the park here, worrying about you. We're in for the long haul, so enjoy the moment, feel free to fantacize, and in my case, I have called on all of our dearly departed family warriors, of whom there are many, to come to your aide. Love a Full Moon, from WYO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much endorse this sentiment - one to live by in all times. Thank you for addressing this.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. It applies here in the midst of kids and homework and all the craziness, too. I'll download a copy for us - and think of you when I see it. Congratulations on another month down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh I need one of those!!!! A very big one! :) Love the history behind it. Good detective work my friend. :) XXOO

    ReplyDelete