Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Mom Sabbatical



Three months down! Although it is hard to see the scale of the sundae pictured, those three candles, each representing a month of my twelve month deployment, are sitting on top of twelve brownie chunks and six scoops of ice cream topped with whipped cream. It was shared by Noah, Amelia, Willis, Mimi, Manny and Ross as the red box came out for the third celebration, this time at Buca di Beppo. Although it is just a picture, it is very rewarding for me to see the kids so happy.

When I started this mobilization, I felt proud of the steps I had taken to best prepare everyone, particularly the kids. There were practical things; I built the mother of all binders with critical numbers, special pockets for health cards and such, and any other "need to know" item I could think of. And there were the fun things, like daydreaming up the red box, but all done to ease the potential hardships that go with a parent's absence. As the weeks turned to months, my initial pride faded and it has been replaced- now it is Noah and Amelia that I am most proud of. I left with faith in their resilience but I am overwhelmed by their strength, loving support and good nature in a less than perfect situation. They, and of course Adam, and the support team at home, have made it so much easier for me, to take care of me, while here. THANK YOU!

I sometimes think of this as my "Mom Sabbatical" and I am determined to come home better than I left. Besides my measly one load a week, there is no laundry to do, no groceries to shop for, no meals to prepare, no dishes to wash and no house to clean! Kind of an all-inclusive resort, albeit with long working hours and occasional indirect fire. But to be a true sabbatical I need to fulfill some goals. At the risk of raising expectations, I am going to share a few publicly.

I am getting in shape, real shape. I make time for the gym and have been a regular at spin class. I have only missed one class since starting, at that was during my crazy "brief the CG" week. I am adding to my gym routine with some lifting but think I'm on the right track. It would be nice to join Adam on a run rather than just watch him run out the door- that is Goal One (G1). Goal Two (G2) is completing my Joint Professional Military Education, a painful but necessary distance learning course. I have been a bit of a slacker on this one but it is now or never. I don't like the idea of only two goals but I am at a loss for a substantial third at the moment. So G1 and G2 are out there for public consumption and comment. I will leave you waiting for a third, or you can help me out and make suggestions. All are welcome, and if not accepted, will at the very least be considered!

Love,

Krista

7 comments:

  1. Adam, Amelia, & NoahSunday, November 07, 2010

    Hi honey....we love you, miss you, and are really proud of you! Love,

    A, A & N

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ROCK Krista!! And I feel like 2 goals are perfect!! It is just enough to keep you busy and feel accomplished at the end of the day.. You are a amazing and keep up the great work!

    xo Katie P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your busy enough, those are two goals to not take lightly! Besides, two is a nice round number :) Smooches!!!

    L,R

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing Krista!!! 2 goals while keeping the water flowing over there is plenty. Miss you tons! XXOO Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're doing great. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so proud of you...
    We are glad that you are well.
    We agree, two sounds like plenty.
    We love you and miss you.
    Emily, Wyatt, Eryn, and Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krista - I'm still drooling over the pic of the sundae...great idea with the red box. You are doing a great job! No need for a third goal, two sounds like plenty. Miss you.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete