Thanks to Steph Evans for taking this and many other pictures just days before I left. She sent me packing with wonderful images of the kids, and of us together. Only hiccup- Adam had to fly! When I am home for r&r we hope she can get us all together. Anyways...thank you Steph! www.stephevansphotography.com

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!


As one who has always prized sleep over social engagements, it probably comes as no surprise that I rang in the New Year tucked away in my CHU. I enjoyed a quiet New Year’s Day too. My boss encouraged us to take the day off, and I embraced the opportunity. I slept in and then spent the day reading, tidying, watching a little TV and a movie before bed. It was a very self-indulgent day.

Part of my reading included past blog posts and I now realize there are a few things that I should update you on. One of the big ones is that I no longer have a roommate, she actually moved out just before Thanksgiving. As the USF-I drawdown continues, there is some reshuffling going on. For my directorate (J9) that included a little reorganization that sent my roommate to nearby Victory Base. It appears that I am senior enough to hold on to my solo status- a luxury I am excited about. So I have rearranged my room where, with imagination, one might consider it an Embassy Suites-like CHU. I have a seating area in the front with mini-fridge and TV and a sleeping area in the rear with my desk. I have been fortunate to acquire two low slung chairs (thanks SFC Llamas) and have the other bed fashioned as a couch. But the fanciest part of my room is a new flat screen TV, sent with complimentary shipping by Best Buy. Attracted to some great holiday offers, I sheepishly mentioned the idea to Adam and he kindly gave it a hearty endorsement. I was previously watching things on my laptop so this is quite an upgrade! My room is still a tin can but it is definitely my retreat.

The weather is cold now- nothing compared to home but chilly enough that I am rarely without my fleece. In the morning my floor is freezing so I try to slip on my crocs before stepping off my carpet. And now I throw on a super fuzzy, floor length robe that Adam and the kids sent for Christmas. It makes trips to the bathroom much more comfortable! But the heat will return in the late spring, and by the time I leave Iraq the robe will have been long tucked away. For now though- I am so happy to wrap myself up!

So with those little updates done, I will tell you that I am excited to be in 2011. My holiday “week-end” culminated this morning with a New Year’s brunch at the “home” of Karen and her husband Eric, two State Department colleagues. Their State Department supplied apartment includes a mini kitchen and man do they get the most out of it! They are striving for normalcy here by cooking their own meals as much as possible. Somehow they managed to gather the ingredients to prepare a frittata, waffles, bacon, handmade rolls and then the most lovely apple tart (from scratch, crust too). I know I am in Baghdad, and a little deprived of non-institutional food, but I have perused and sampled many Parisian’ patisseries and their apple tart surpassed any tarte tatin I have ever had. Now, I will say, they did comment that if they shared the amount of butter that went into preparing said apple tart, it might take away from the dining experience, but regardless- boy was it amazing. Karen and Eric are amazing!

So here I am with just a couple weeks over 6 months to go in my mobilization and only 10 weeks before heading home for R&R. With Adam flying, the kids joined the Day Family for a special, overdue redbox (No. FIVE) holiday-break outing that included Steak & Shake and a trip to the movie theatre to see Secretariat. Between basketball (Willis, Manny, Noah, Ross), swim team (Mimi), Science Olympiad (Noah), gymnastics (Amelia), piano (Amelia & Manny) and guitar (Noah) it has been a big challenge to get the kids all together but somehow Amy made it happen!

Hoping you all wrapped up 2010 and welcomed 2011 with family or friends. One thing I know I will take away from this experience, is to treasure time with those I love.

Love,

Krista

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Krista!!!! You come home this year. :)
    Get the recipe for that apple tart...sounds yummy.
    Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha P Nu Yr! Didn't even try for midnight as I was due on duty at 5AM to cook and serve breakfast and lunch and do the never ending pots and pans and dishes. It has it moments, but as you can attest, everyone loves to be fed and after two years I have paid my kitchen dues and have a bit of fun with the crew. I was out shoveling snow off the deck this morning in 20 degree temps in my shorts and sweatshirt and gloves and boots. Didn't even feel cold - no brain, no pain, plus that is about 30 degrees warmer than yesterday morning. You know who loves you in WYO, XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Krista!! You were in my thoughts Friday night as I was putting together my table and dinner for NYE :o) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete